Protecting your mental health is super important especially during this time of the coronavirus. You may be feeling overwhelmed, isolated, anxious,depressed, and frustrated. The toll on our mental health during this time is difficult for so many, especially the elderly, children, and those who are battling other mental or physical issues. Although it may be difficult there are things you can do to release some of the stress and stay on top of your mental health. You may feel as if you don't have any control or feel helpless, but there are things you can control.
1) Separate the things you can control from those you can't- Remember to wear your mask and remind your friends and loved ones to do the same. Wash your hands and remind others. Stay 6ft apart when you are out in public or at work. Eat healthy and nutritious meals. Stay hydrated and take your vitamins.
2) Do something that you enjoy-talk to your loved ones and friends(just make sure you are staying safe)
3) Limit the amount of news you watch around the virus and other things that may cause you stress or anxiety.
4) Take a walk- walk to the store or around the block. Breathing in fresh air and exercising does wonders. You will find that you start to feel calm and your brain will release endorphins and serotonin(neurotransmitters) which causes you to feel pleasure and will regulate your mood.
5) Stay in the present-think positive thoughts. Think about things that make you smile, that bring you joy. Rub some lavender oil or lotion on your hands and smell it. The lavender will help you relax and feel less anxious.
6) If you are struggling with feelings of depression, anxiety, or isolation and need help, reach out. Don't be ashamed, you are not alone.
Call 1-800-273-8255 or text 741741